Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A bit more about what you can expect come March 1st...

Okay, so as the Director of Social Media and Emergency Preparedness (Meg made up that fancy title for me) I've been working hard to get the word out about Kindred Thread in advance of our March 1st launch. Now, Meg and I spent a LOT of time on the phone discussing (among other things) what we are planning to offer as far as variety, time period, price ranges... and yeah, we could talk about doll clothes all day long and not get bored.

So here you go: we will be focusing on four main lines, plus custom work as time allows.

Kindred Thread Signature: Wardrobe essentials based on original book illustrations or retired American Girl outfits. We consider it our mission to make these American Girl® canon items available to all collectors. Signature items are ready to order on an ongoing basis but may take up to one week to ship depending on existing inventory.

Many of the items in the Signature line will look familiar if you've been hanging around Playthings or Flickr: for example, I'll be continuing to sew the Route 66 dress that I've made at least a dozen of since last spring. We both have big ideas for dresses that AG never made for the dolls but should have!

Kindred Thread Limited Edition: Monthly releases of historically-accurate period clothing featuring designer reproduction fabrics and doll-scale trims. Limited Edition items are hand-crafted in small limited quantities. Sewn-in garment tags are signed by the sewist and numbered to ensure their collectibility and value.

The main purpose behind the Limited Edition line, in case you hadn't guessed, is to continue to enable Meg's and my fabric addiction. Our favorite fabric sellers are constantly adding new prints that make us squee, and making them into doll clothes allows us to play with the pretty and share it with you.

Kindred Thread Foundations: Historically accurate undergarments, sleepwear, and other dolly necessities. As with our Signature Line, Foundation items are available to order on an ongoing basis. Fabric and trim are subject to change based upon availability.

Kindred Thread Modiste: Complete fashion ensembles featuring premium materials, vintage-inspired accessories, and heirloom quality workmanship. Modiste items are singular, one-off designs, never to be repeated, and they are sold in auction format only. Sewn-in garment tags are embellished with grosgrain ribbon and signed by the sewist.

The Modiste line is the one that gets me so excited sometimes I can't fall asleep at night. I've had a lot of grand ideas for some really over-the-top dolly ensembles but didn't really have a venue for them up until now. Every time I am at the fabric store (which is like once a week) I am fantasizing about the silks and velvets and ribbons and luxurious trims. You guys are seriously going to die when you see this stuff.

Kindred Thread Request: Looking for that Holy Grail outfit? As time allows, we welcome commissions for custom doll clothing. Our fee for research and labor starts at $50. We regret that we are unable to create exact replicas of past Modiste or Limited Edition items.

Our launch is just a couple of weeks away! Are you excited? We are!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds FABULOUS (see, I'm yelling too), ladies. I can't wait to see what the two of you come up with. :)

    Joni was recently charmed into making a colonial wardrobe for my own small girl. The cloaks in particular were highly admired (read:coveted) by the other short guests at our very own AG Aloha Birthday Party (apparently, a cloak is even appropriate over beach wear - who knew)? You have a winner there - I hope you make them available. Then again, I could get behind being smug about my own limited editions. ;)

    I've long admired Nora's work. Only my lack of a Flickr account has prevented unseemingly public gushing.

    I'm thrilled for you both - this sounds great. Sadly, I've now noted the Nauvoo link on your sidebar. There goes an hour. Curses, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, I would love to see some photos of the velvet-cloak-over-swimsuit getup...

    ReplyDelete