Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Literary Doll

When I first opened a Facebook account (and I was not what you'd call an early adopter), I wrote this on my profile:

"My three main interests, in no particular order, are reading, sewing, and my children. I try to combine them where possible: so, reading with my children, sewing for my children, listening to audiobooks while sewing. I have yet to figure out how to do all three simultaneously."

That, obviously, was before I started Sewing For Dolls. Costuming dolls as my favorite characters from children's literature? Nirvana.

My very first customized American Girl Dolls were Betsy, Tacy and Tib, from the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace (recently back in print; it is your Civic Responsibility to purchase these books if you've not yet read them!) You might recognize an early version of our Seersucker Sailor Dress and Samantha's Play Dress and Pinafore:


Next came Anne of Green Gables, followed by her BFF Diana Barry:




And did you know that there's also a Gilbert Blythe? I don't know what the market is for clothing boy dolls, but I could probably be convinced to sew a few Gilbert ensembles if you twist my arm.




As always, there are works in progress . . . I have a custom Laura and Mary Ingalls with a stack of 1870s calicos, and a half-dressed Valancy Snaith nee Stirling. (Jess! With a bob!) Don't know Valancy? Gasp! Read About Us and then run, don't walk, to Project Gutenberg to download your copy of The Blue Castle.

Now, Kindred Thread is pleased to announce our first Limited Edition series: the Little Women Collection. Each month will feature a new Civil War-era fashion inspired by the pages of Louisa May Alcott's novel. We begin this month with the eldest March daughter, and my namesake: Meg March.




Meg is soon to be followed by Jo, Beth, and Amy--we know you'll want to collect all four! (Two words: Pickled. Limes.)



What other childhood heroines would you love to see in needle and thread?

12 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! This is simply lovely!! I've often thought of making some of my dolls literary heroines, or at least making literary-themed doll clothing lines for my Etsy store. This is great fun! :-D
    (The Gilbert Blythe doll is super cute!! :-) :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, Sarah Crewe! I would LOVE to see what you needle-geniuses could do with some of Sarah's clothes from A Little Princess. I'm actually not usually one for girly-girl children's literature (my favorites were always the John Bellairs books and anything Roald Dahl ever put pen to for kids), but I have to re-read that book every couple of years or I will implode.

    I love the Meg March dress, it's beautiful!

    -- Robinhoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, Sara Crewe! I had the Tasha Tudor-illustrated version of ALP, because duh, and on the cover Sara was wearing that rose pink frock for dance lessons from the special dancing-master from France, and GUH. That's a holy grail outfit if I ever did see one.

    And Roald Dahl was a genius. I just read 'Going Solo' which is his autobiography of early adulthood - he was in Africa when WWII broke out, and he joined the RAF, and it's a great story (and he was a hotty in his youth, who knew?) I can't wait until my kids are old enough for Chocolate Factory & Matilda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be strange, but am I the only one who cannot find a serious, detailed Dorothy Gale(Wizard of Oz) dress and accessories?? I haven't had time to fire up the EBay search engine for some Grey Eyed girlies for "customization"….. yet I've had time to find plenty of brown-eyed girlies…. :D Anywho...Back on topic….. I'm additionally working on a custom Jo doll(rubyredgalleria.com offers a fabulous wig for Jo) So I will totally be a buyer of your dress for her… :D
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Noel

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just so happens that I have a Dorothy Gale pattern in my stash . . . What RRG wig are you using for Jo? My stand-in for Jo is going to be my Laura Ingalls, who's a blue-eyed Ruthie with an RRG long, brown, wavy wig. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH-MY-GOSH! Are you planning to release any dresses made with your pattern or will you take custom orders? I'm a seamstress, but I've never found the *time*, fabric, or MOST IMPORTANTLY, pattern for a Dorothy Gale dress! Anywho, I've got the medium-brown, curly brown wig for Jo(The curls will sit more "a-top" her head compared to the normal A.G. dolls) I'm sure you've seen the wig around on RRG;)
    Cute! I'm sure Laura/Ruthie will make a very nice stand-in Jo;)
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Noel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, Tacy and Tib are, of course, fabulous and I might just have to ask you for some Gilbert clothes for my Tom and Herbert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel Noel, I can pretty much promise a Dorothy release, though probably not till next year. If you want one sooner, I'd be so pleased to do a detailed Dorothy ensemble as a custom order. You can reach me at norasroomATgmailDOTcom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall see what I can do;) I'm a pretty good "wait-er" if custom ordering does not come soon for me or the release of "Limited Edition" Dorothy:)
    Either way, if I things come about in my favor, you should receive an e-mail from me sooner-or-later;)
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Noel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, WOW! I noticed most of these girls look like they're American Girl, so I can't help but wonder where and when you got them, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. can you make Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm?

    ReplyDelete